On Wednesday 6 November, we held a media launch for our Avant-Garde Festive Pairing Experience, available for guests to the Estate from 15 November 2013 – 15 January 2014.
The launch event served as a preview of what guests to the farm can experience over the festive season: The menu pairs six, delectable, bite-size delights specially crafted by Chef Reuben Riffel, with our elegant wines. However, this year we wanted to do something a little different; a food and wine pairing with a twist.
For this year’s Avant-Garde pairing (a French expression referring to that which is experimental, innovative and artistic), Avondale wanted to explore the relationship between art, food and wine. Thus the launch event was held at the Youngblood art gallery – a venue that beautifully reflected the theme, while the menu included a visual representation of the ingredients which made up each bite-size delight – in their natural, unaltered state – which was then enlarged and hung up on the walls of the gallery as artworks.
Chef Reuben presented the following to our media guests:
Avondale’s Avant-Garde Pairing Experience:
- Marinated Salmon with Avocado Coulis, Sweet and Sour Beet, Preserved Ginger and Wilted Tatsoi, accompanied by a glass of the effervescent Armilla Méthode Cap Classique
- Avondale’s vibrant Chenin Blanc Anima, paired with Malay-Style Chicken Curry, Creamy Rice and Poppadom
- Avondale’s Viognier blend Cyclus married well with Citrus Braised Duck, Green Olives and New Potatoes
- Avondale’s Camissa Blanc de Noir was served with Warm Roasted Prawn with Tropical Fruit Salsa and Lightly Spiced Persimmon Sauce
- Avondale’s Syrah Samsara was paired with White Pepper Spiced Pork Belly Bordelaise with Toast
- And finally, the piece de resistance: Avondale’s signature red blend La Luna partnered beautifully with Sticky Braised Beef with Puff Pastry and Mushroom Creme – a huge hit with our guests!
There was a massive buzz across social media on the day with guests tweeting, posting and Instagramming the dishes presented to them – and a wonderful day was had by all.
Experience the Avant-Garde Pairing for yourself at the estate this festive season – the tasting is R150 per person and by appointment. Email us firstname.lastname@example.org to book now.