Every year over the festive season, Avondale hosts a unique food and wine pairing at our Tasting Gallery. This experience has become extremely popular with local and international guests alike, firmly establishing its place in every self-respecting foodie’s calendar. But this year, we wanted to do something a little different….
For this year’s festive food and wine pairing, we have collaborated with Chef Reuben Riffel to explore the delicate balance between art, food and wine. Reuben explains: “A beautiful dish, well executed, is art. Beautifully crafted wine, such as Avondale’s, is art. We wanted to explore the individual elements that – when in perfect balance and harmony – produce a culinary masterpiece.”
This year’s food and wine pairing derives its name from the French expression, ‘Avant-garde’, which refers to that which is experimental, innovative and artistic. The pairing menu includes a visual representation of the ingredients which make up each bite-size, sumptuous delight – in their natural, unaltered state. Avondale’s Proprietor Johnathan Grieve says: “We believe that in order to create a masterpiece, all of the components need to be mindfully selected and prepared. This is why we have broken down the preparation process to show each element individually, so that our guests can understand how much work, care and preparation goes into creating the whole.”
Avondale’s Avant-Garde Pairing Experience includes:
- Marinated Salmon with Avocado Coulis, Sweet and Sour Beet, Preserved Ginger and Wilted Tatsoi, accompanied by a glass of the effervescent Armilla Méthode Cap Classique
- This is followed with Avondale’s vibrant Chenin Blanc Anima, paired with Malay-Style Chicken Curry, Creamy Rice and Poppadom
- Avondale’s Viognier blend Cyclus marries well with Citrus Braised Duck, Green Olives and New Potatoes
- Avondale’s Camissa Blanc de Noir is served with Warm Roasted Prawn with Tropical Fruit Salad and Lightly Spiced Persimmon Sauce
- Avondale’s Syrah Samsara is paired with White Pepper Spiced Pork Belly Bordelaise with Toast
- And finally, Avondale’s signature red blend La Luna partners with Sticky Braised Beef with Puff Pastry and Mushroom Creme
As with the dishes on the pairing menu, there is also a great deal of time and effort that goes into creating an Avondale wine. We produce our wines according to the BioLOGIC® methodology, which combines certified organic and biodynamic farming principles with the best that modern science has to offer. All of our grapes are harvested by hand and whole-bunch pressed, and our wine is designed to mature in the bottle. We believe that sometimes the good things in life take a little longer – and if something is worth doing, it is worth doing with care. It was this philosophy that inspired this year’s Avant-Garde Pairing; where each element – in perfect harmony with the next – creates a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.
The Avant-Garde Pairing is available at the Avondale farm from 15 November 2013 – 15 January 2014. The cost is R150 per person and is by appointment only. Call 021-863 1976 or email email@example.com to book now.