Over the past 18 months or so, we’ve had a lot of delicious fun teaming up with Chef Reuben Riffel to create exciting Summer and Festive pairings with Avondale’s premium wines. These extraordinary experiences have inspired us this winter to collaborate with this renowned chef once again to now show off Avondale’s wines in front of a warm and cosy fire.
From 22 May to 15 July guests to the Avondale estate can enjoy the innovative Winter Warmer Pairing which includes six gourmet tasting-size soups – each one unique in style and flavour, created by Chef Reuben with his signature rustic culinary flair evident in every sip. Each soup has been specially crafted to beautifully complement a particular vintage in Avondale’s collection of elegant, handcrafted wines.
Chef Reuben says: “I like simple food, beautifully prepared, and I love soup for its versatility. The humble soup is quite often perceived as a boring “filler” item on a menu – or old-fashioned peasant fare – and is, rather mistakenly, overlooked. There are so many delicious possibilities and variants, and it is can be an exquisite addition to any menu when properly prepared.”
The Winter Warmer Pairing experience:
- The Tasting begins with Baby Marrow & Basil Soup, garnished with crispy baby marrow, accompanied by a glass of the effervescent Armilla Méthode Cap Classique
- This is followed with Avondale’s vibrant Chenin Blanc Anima, paired with Confit Duck and Bean Soup
- Avondale’s Viognier blend Cyclus marries well with French Onion Soup, served with melted Epoisse Toastie
- Avondale’s Camissa rosé is served with Chai-Style Butternut Soup
- Avondale’s Syrah Samsara is paired with Parsnip & Artichoke Soup, served with grated parmesan and olive oil
- And finally, Avondale’s signature red blend La Luna partners with Truffle Bean Soup
Johnathan Grieve, Proprietor of Avondale, says: “We have collaborated with Chef Reuben on numerous occasions before, and the soup and wine pairing was born out of a desire to give an exciting, fresh take on a traditional winter comfort food. We are extremely fortunate to have Chef Reuben on board for this experience as we knew he would be able do precisely that – create beautiful, gourmet soups created with fresh, seasonal and, where possible, local ingredients that would do justice to Avondale’s collection of fine wines.”
The Winter Warmer Pairing, available at Avondale Wine Estate from 22 May to 15 July, is R120 per person and by appointment only. Call 021-863 1976 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book now.