Fruits of the Vine
We grow our vines in one-hectare blocks where cultivars are matched to soil types; soils are balanced and re-mineralised according the particular block of vines’ specific nutritional needs; and blocks are irrigated separately based on their requirements. The focus of all this careful individual attention is on quality not quantity. We never pressurise our vines nor employ stressful practices to boost the vineyards’ outputs. Each hectare block yields between four and eight tonnes of balanced, healthy grapes providing us with the ideal fruits to make premium quality, extraordinary wines approved by Mother Nature.
Slow wines, naturally made
- Our state-of-the-art, 500-ton capacity cellar was built three-storeys deep in a dry riverbed. It is a gravity-flow facility that ensures that the grapes are moved with the minimum of mechanical intervention.
- Our cellar is specially designed to receive and vinify the harvests of each separate block. This enables our wine-maker to fine tune the ageing and blending of our wines in an exceptional way.
- We have no need to regulate or adjust our wines in any artificial way and so, no enzymes, catalysing agents or softeners are used in the production of Avondale wines.
- We make use of only natural yeast fermentation and adhere to strict international organic certification standards.
- Meticulous processing enables us to make wines that are particularly low in sulphur, less than half the norm.
We practice slow wine-making that gives our wines the time they need to develop to their fullest potential. This ensures that by the time they reach the wine-lover, they are immediately accessible and delicious, while still bold enough in stamina and character to enjoy a long life in the bottle.
“I do what the wines want me to do.”
Cornè Marais, Avondale’s Wine-maker
Through the Avondale Members Club we exclusively reward our loyal friends and family who stay connected in our Circle of Life by taking great pleasures in our wines.